1. On May 23, 2013 the Palm Desert city council designated the Sandpiper Condominium Circles 11 and 12 (1965, Palmer & Krisel) a historic district. The nomination, prepared by PSPF board member Jim Harlan, can be read at http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/sandpiper.html.
2. PSPF (in partnership with the Racquet Club Garden Villas Homeowners Association) has submitted the historic district nomination for Racquet Club Cottages West (RCCW). Located at 360 West Cabrillo Road adjacent to the famous Racquet Club, the RCCW complex was designed by architect William F. Cody, FAIA. The 37 modernist condominiums were built from 1959 to 1960 by California developer Paul Trousdale and the grounds feature landscape architecture by the firm of Phil Shipley and Associates. See http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/raquet_club_cottages_west.html.
3. Congratulations to new PSPF president Erik Rosenow and incoming PSPF treasurer Vincent Williams. See http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/board.html.
4. Welcome to PSPF's new administrative officer Denis Moreen. Denis has significant volunteer experience with non-profit organizations and will be assuming many of the administrative functions critical to the day-to-day operation of the foundation.
5. PSPF board member Gary Johns was recently appointed to a three-year term on the city of Palm Springs Historic Site Preservation Board and has been elected as the HSPB's vice chairman. Also appointed to this important board was long-time PSPF volunteer Dick Burkett.
6. On June 22, 2013 a Palm Springs city official reported that "plans had been submitted" to rebuild the historic Carnell Building's burned-out second floor. To read more about the fascinating history of this prominent downtown building see http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/carnell_building.html.
7. PSPF board member Gary Johns will present his popular slide lecture Lost, Saved & Endangered: Modernist Architecture in Palm Springs on Sunday, October 13, 2013. This event is being held in conjunction with Modernism Weekâ€™s â€œFall Season Kick-Off Weekendâ€ being held from October 11-14, 2013. The lecture is free, however, reservations are required, for details see http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/lost_saved_lecture_2013.html.
8. Save the Date! PSPF is planning a special event for the late afternoon of Saturday, November 9, 2013 so please keep your social calendar open!
9. On Saturday April 20, 2013 PSPF and the Paul Kaplan modern real estate GROUP participated in the city of Palm Springs' 75th Birthday Celebration (1938-2013). Our combined booth was one of the most popular and well-attended and featured a history of the Alexander Construction Company excerpted from The Alexanders: A Desert Legacy written by PSPF board member Jim Harlan.
10. Remember that PSPF's tribute journals are always on sale at the Palm Springs Visitors Center in the historic Tramway Gas Station (1963, Frey & Chambers). Also the Visitors Center is now stocking our Steel Modern After All These Years booklet written by PSPF board member Patrick McGrew. The booklet was published in conjunction with our Modernism Week tour celebrating 75 years of steel building construction in Palm Springs.
Patrick McGrew - In Memoriam Contributions
W. Allen Burke ● James R. Harlan ● Beth Edwards Harris ● Leah Levy ● Susan Secoy-Jensen ● Erik & Sidney Williams ●
A sincere "Thank You!" to our Contributors:
Preservationist ● Michael Stern for The Modern Tour & The American Institute of Architects ● Benefactor ● Ronald Cato ● Gideon Cohn, I.M.A.G.E.S by Gideon ● Patrons ● Kirk Brown & Jill Wiltsie ● Marc Cohen & Melissa Ingalls ● Duff Kliewer & Bruce Pensyl ● Advocates ● Nancy Baron ● Richard Hobbs ● David Kearney ● Arthur J. Keller ● Lynee & Robert Kirby ● David Walden-Berg ● Contributors ● Douglas Huth ● Tracy Lech ● John Russell ● Margo Wheeler ●
And to our 2013 year-long Partners:
20 First Modern & Vintage Furnishings ● Team Haverkate ● Just Modern New Century Modern ● Paul Kaplan modern real estate GROUP ● Signs By Tomorrow ● Gary Wexler Design ●