1. On the first anniversary of the Class 1 Historic Site designation of the Town & Country Center, PSPF reignited its advocacy efforts with two opinion pieces in the Desert Sun newspaper and compelling public comment to the Palm Springs city council. To read about PSPF's most recent efforts on behalf of the Center, see http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/tcc.html.
2. The Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians has asserted they have the authority to make historic preservation decisions on "historically tribal land" even if that land is privately owned. PSPF has argued that this view is legally flawed and that the city of Palm Springs is obligated to process Class 1 Historic Site nominations within city limits. To read about the latest developments concerning this contentious issue, see http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/acbci_claims.html.
3. On April 5, 2017, PSPF submitted the Class 1 Historic Site nomination for the Mr. & Mrs. Carl E. Haymond Residence (1964, Frey & Chambers) to the city of Palm Springs' Historic Site Preservation Board. Carl Haymond was a prominent TV and radio station owner from the Pacific Northwest who fell in love with Palm Springs and eventually built his dream home in the Las Palmas Estates tract. To read the 44-page nomination, written by PSPF board members Ron & Barbara Marshall, see http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/haymond_residence.html.
4. All of PSPF's Modernism Week 2017 events were a smashing success! The foundation was proud to host four free lectures presented by PSPF board members Gary Johns, Steven Price, Jim Harlan and Tracy Beckmann. The free lectures were enthusiastically received by standing room only audiences. PSPF also hosted a free tour of St. Theresa Catholic Church's main sanctuary. To read more about PSPF's MW 2017 events (including some great photos of the Retro Martini Party at the Kirk Douglas Residence), see http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/past_events.html.
5. PSPF's new publication Architecture 100 is the fastest-selling educational product in the history of the foundation. The publication features over 100 architecturally-significant properties and a map to create your own self-driving tour. It can be purchased locally at the Palm Springs Visitors Center, Just Modern, Trina Turk, Destination PSP, and at the gift shops of the Palm Springs Art Museum and the Architecture and Design Center. See http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/journals.html.
6. On April 23, 2017, the city of Palm Springs' Historic Site Preservation Board held a one-day preservation event entitled "Architecture and Social Diversity in Palm Springs." This was the fourth year the city has held the event which celebrates National Preservation Month. PSPF manned a table at the event and had an opportunity to talk about the latest efforts of the foundation.
7. PSPF's volunteers are our greatest asset and we hosted them to a volunteer appreciation event at Smoke Tree Ranch on March 22, 2017. Some of our volunteers have been supporting the foundation for more than a decade and Dick Burkett, a longtime volunteer, has supported PSPF for a record 48 events! See http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/volunteers.html.
8. Mark your calendar! The Modernism Week Fall Preview is scheduled for October 19-22, 2017.
9. PSPF is a registered participant in Amazon Smile, a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization. When you shop at AmazonSmile.com you'll find the same low prices, selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation. See https://smile.amazon.com/ch/26-3758233.
A sincere "Thank You!" to our Contributors:
• Preservationists • The Louis L. Borick Foundation • Secoy Architects, Inc. • William F. Stewart • Scott Timberlake, Realty Trust • Gary Wexler • Advocates • Cory Brazeman • Arthur Keller • Martin Treu • Contributor • Douglas Brinkley •
And to our 2016 Partners:
• HEDGE • H3K • Signs By Tomorrow • Gary Wexler Design • California Lustre • the KiP group • SinatraHouse.com •