1. The Baristo Lofts project was scheduled to appear before the city council on February 18th, but just hours before the meeting the controversial project was removed from the agenda at the request of the applicant. This was unfortunate because about 80 concerned citizens were on-hand to voice their opposition to the project. Baristo Lofts will be rescheduled to appear before the Palm Springs city council in the coming weeks. If you haven’t sent your email in opposition to this project, please find more background information and city council member email addresses at www.pspreservationfoundation.org/baristo.html. To date, the city council has received more than 100 emails and letters opposing the Baristo Lofts project and supporting the immediate Class 1 historic site designation of the Santa Fe Federal Savings & Loan building designed by architect E. Stewart Williams.
2. As part of our ongoing effort to reach out to a new generation of preservationists, PSPF is sponsoring four Palm Springs High School seniors to attend the 34th annual California Preservation Foundation conference being held in Palm Springs from April 16-19. We are also partnering with the CPF to sponsor ten students from the College of the Desert. Special thanks to architect Lance O’Donnell for helping us select those worthy COD students. For more information about the CPF conference see www.californiapreservation.org/about_2009.shtml.
3. We’ve posted lots of great photos of the Retro Martini Party fundraiser at http://www.pspreservationfoundation.org/martini.html. Special thanks to board member Richard “Kip” Serafin for making the event a smashing success.
4. The next Palm Springs Modernism Week is scheduled for February 12-20, 2010 and the organizing committee needs enthusiastic volunteers willing to attend monthly working group meetings. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in helping.
5. Finally, we have received overwhelmingly positive response to our new free online membership option. If you know someone interested in the preservation of our city’s architecture and cultural resources, please tell them about our free membership.
We Thank Our Contributors
Preservationists ● Tracy Conrad ● Eric Ellenbogen ● Christy Eugenis ● Doug Hudson & Erich Burkhart ● Barry & Jill Kitnick ● William Kopelk ● Jay & Mishell Nailor ● Leon Pascucci ● Stewart Weiner ● Patrons ● Scott Chalmers ● Clint Maish ● Jim West ● Karrie & Trevor Wright ● Advocates ● Vincent Bartz ● Blair Jockers ● Wendy Liff ● Beverlee Morse ● Charles Pearson & Thomas Sharkey ● Karrie Wright ● Kim & Joe Zakowski ● Contributors ● Denise Anderson ● Chris & Lizette Bricker ● Douglas Brinkley ● H. William Brown ● Jack Foster & Bruce McIlveen ● Alvin Fuchs & Claudine Messika ● Kathryn Henneman ● Katherine & Greg Hough ● Rick Hutcheson ● Mitchel Karp ● Thomas Keating ● Wendy & Clive Ketteridge ● John Lamb ● Patrick & Mickey Rice ● Erik Rosenow ●
And the sponsors that helped make our 2009 Retro Martini Party fundraiser a success
Season in the Sun magazine ● Beau Monde Villas ● Love at First Bite ● Ace Hotel ● Ice Magic ● Pavé Spirits ● Kröl Vodka ● Diana Phillips Chocolates ●