Palm Springs Preservation Foundation
 

Dr. Franz Alexander Residence - 1011 West Cielo Drive

Franz Alexander Residence

Franz Alexander Residence

The Dr. Franz Alexander Residence was designed by famous modernist architect Walter S. White in 1956. Built by Rooth & Carr with structural engineering by Stanley E. Malora of Los Angeles, the house was designed as a desert retreat for internationally renowned psychoanalyst Dr. Franz Alexander and his wife, artist Anita Venier Alexander. White, who was also an industrial designer, inventor and builder, returned to the house almost thirty years later to design a sympathetic addition in 1984. In 2016, the home was added to the National Register of Historic Places whose application reads in part "designed in the Modern Style….the curling gesture of its roof, peeling away from the building's boxy envelope, and the unusual steel framework that supports the roof and overall structure, are the dwelling's primary and highly visible character defining features."

On July 2, 2020 the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation (acting as agent for the owner) submitted the 70-page Class 1 Historic Resource nomination for the Dr. Franz Alexander Residence to the Palm Springs Historic Site Preservation Board.

Click hereIn September of 2019, the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation board of directors assigned the task of writing the Class 1 Historic Resource nomination of the Dr. Franz Alexander Residence to PSPF board advisor Steve Vaught.

home : mission : history : board : recognition : vintage pspf : archives : lost : then and now : successes & setbacks : tribute journals : membership : donate : get involved : our sponsors
our volunteers
: for homeowners : preservation links : tax credits : other links : contact us : online booklet : calendar

Copyright 2010 Palm Springs Preservation Foundation. All rights reserved, except for photographs used by permission of rights holders.
Created by Thetford Web Development